Thursday 29 October 2015

The Chikki Make Over

Coming to Lonavla and not buying chikki is a sin. Every store boasts of the famous Maganlal Chikki. The chikki, which was originally made of groundnuts, sugar syrup and jaggery, today comes in different flavours, like coconut, dry fruits, crushed groundnut and the works including the sugar free variety. 

I am more than a tad confused.  Walking a few steps, I see they have diversified into fudges. Chocolate and chocolate walnut are passé. Meet the strawberry and mango additions. 
 
         I happily chose my sweets and learnt that the bill was a staggering 1200 bucks. How much could a couple of chikkis and fudges cost ? Apparently quite a big amount. 

When I sheepishly told my hubby, he laughed. Those born in the early 70's would remember a sweet called Sappy. These sweets, tasting exactly like the groundnut chikki, were available in the markets where a shady man would sell them from a wooden box with glass sides, costing all of one rupee. Our parents would have a royal fit seeing those men, while we kids would erupt with delirious joy. 


That same old Sappy has got a makeover, with a brand attached to it. And like the brand, so is the cost, with a 100 grams bar costing Rs 70. The pocket certainly pinches, but the calories hurt my waistline more. Actually my non existent ever expanding waistline. Ummm, so if it's not there, I guess I can indulge a little more. Slurrrp away. 

2 comments:

  1. When it. Hurts your wasteline it should be shared with friends..enjoy tasty sappy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete