Thursday 26 June 2014

A Mother’s Dream


As the clock struck the 20th hour of the day, I waited for the door bell to ring. Cooking a meal on week nights is a real chore, but with my cook, Saraswati, a mundane meal can become delicious as I feel she infuses a lot of TLC in her cooking.

She came right on time. But one look at her anguished face, and I knew that something was terribly wrong. Cradling her in my arms, incoherent words were uttered as she started sobbing profusely. Her 20 year old daughter had eloped. 

Like most migrants to Mumbai, Saraswati came at the age of 13, running away from her home in West Bengal to escape a society that had nothing to offer a girl child. Fed up of not going to school and waiting to be married off, she boarded a train and realised that her destiny had brought to Mayanagri or Mumbai. But to survive in this city was not easy, so she started working as a live in maid.

Dance bars were at their peak in the 90's and the lure of easy and great money, attracted Saraswati to this profession. Saraswati was rechristened as Priya. 

However, she found a good man, who married her and Priya once again became Saraswati.  They had a baby girl, named her Purnima, and life was all hunky dory. She started working with me once she lost her husband. Whilst I started educating her daughter, Saraswati worked her magic in various homes, saving money for her daughter's marriage. Purnima finished her 12th and started working in a call centre, where she met a colleague and eloped.

Saraswati always dreamt big for her daughter. She lived in a one room tenement, called a chawl. She wanted Purnima to live in a flat, hence the education and English speaking classes. Numerous dreams were being weaved, whilst chopping onions and stirring the pot. Today, her dreams are shattered as the boy is not educated, lives in a chawl with his parents, 4 brothers and a sister. 


I don't know how to console Saraswati. The numerous sacrifices, the hours of toiling from sunrise to sun down, making a small gold earring from the bonus she got during Diwali, the hand me downs she wore to give her daughter new clothes...now, all in vain. Seeing her cry, I just had one prayer to the Almighty, to give me the power never to cause a tear to fall from my mother's eyes…

No comments:

Post a Comment